Apply for housing

Apply to join the Housing Register

This application form is for anyone who wants to apply for Social Housing in Central Bedfordshire. If you are a Central Bedfordshire Council or Housing Association tenant and want to transfer to another property you will need to complete this form.

Check if you qualify

You will first need to complete our qualification questionnaire and if you appear to qualify for the Housing Register you will be asked to click “Next” to continue the Housing Application form. This is so we can gather more information regarding your current housing situation and assess your priority. If you have been asked to leave your current accommodation and are threatened with homelessness you will need to contact the Housing Options Team for advice on 0300 300 4370 once you have completed the application form.

Do I qualify for the Housing Register?

Do I qualify for the Housing Register?

Continue with an application

If you have already started, you can continue your application provided you have the login code given to you when you saved your application and decided to finish later.

Continue an application >>

If you qualify - what happens next?

You will need to provide us with details of your addresses for the past five years. Click the button below and complete and submit the information online.

Complete the address history form >>

You will need to complete the housing declaration form (PDF 444.4KB) . Please print the form to sign it and then send it to the Housing Register team by email or post.

We will need to verify all the information you have provided in your application and will write to you within 28 days to tell you which documents you need to copy and send to us.

Please return these forms by email to or by post to:

Housing Register Team
Central Bedfordshire Council
Priory House
Monks Walk 
SG17 5TQ

After you've returned the forms

When you have returned the completed the forms and provided copies of your documents which confirm that you qualify for the Housing Register, you will be advised how to express a preference for properties that are available.

The Bedfordshire Homefinder website advertises properties weekly.

The number of people who apply for social housing far exceeds the amount of accommodation that is available. This means that applicants with a lower priority may have a very long wait before they are allocated a property, particularly in areas where lots of people want to live.

Medical form

If you or a member of your household has a medical condition that is affected by your current housing or determines the type of housing that would be suitable for you, please complete and submit the medical eform by clicking on the button below.

Complete a medical form >>

Alternatively, you can print out and complete a hard copy of the medical form (PDF 1.5MB) and send a scanned pdf copy by email or post the form to the Housing Register Team at the return address above. We are unable to accept digital photographs of the form.


If you are unhappy about any decision regarding your application, you have a right to appeal and have the decision reviewed. Please put your reasons in writing and send your appeal to the email or postal return addresses above.

If you have any queries or wish to discuss your application, please telephone the Housing Register Team on 0300 300 5080.

If you do not qualify for the Housing Register

If you do not qualify to join the Housing Register, details will be retained only for a period of one year for properties which are hard to let.

Occasionally and on an ad-hoc basis a particular type of property becomes available where a suitable tenant cannot be identified. These properties, which are hard to let, will be advertised and applicants who have previously applied to the housing register but do not qualify, can express an interest in these properties.

Housing associations may also be able to help you, as they maintain their own waiting lists.

Back to the top