Apply for housing, Housing Register and bidding for housing

Apply to join the Housing Register

How to apply for social housing

Check if you qualify by starting an application

When you complete the first part of the application you will be told if you appear to qualify for the Housing Register. If you appear to qualify; click “Next” to continue the application form. We can only assess your priority if you answer all the questions. It may take you around 30 minutes to answer all the questions.

Start your Housing Register application >>

At risk of becoming homeless?

If you have been asked to leave your current accommodation and are threatened with homelessness you need to:

  1. complete the application form
  2. contact us for advice on 0300 300 4370

Continue with an application

If you have already started, you can continue your application provided you complete it within 10 days of starting. You will need the login code which was generated when you left the application to finish it later.

Continue an application >>

If you qualify - what happens next?

When you have completed your Housing Register application you will need to complete the address history form with your addresses for the past five years. Only complete this form when you have finished your application.

Complete the address history form >>

You will need to complete the housing declaration form (PDF 444.4KB) . Please print the form to sign it and then send it to us by email or post.

We will need to verify all the information you have provided in your application. You will be advised which documents you need to copy and send to us.

Please return these forms by email to or by post to:

Housing Register Team 
Central Bedfordshire Council 
Priory House 
Monks Walk  
SG17 5TQ

Call in person

Housing drop-in at Central Bedfordshire Council Offices 
Watling House 
High Street North 
LU6 1LF at the following drop-in sessions:

  • Monday from 3pm to 5pm
  • Wednesday from midday to 2pm
  • Friday from 10am to midday

Customer Services - Dunstable

Central Bedfordshire Council Offices 
Watling House 
High Street North 

Customer services in our libraries

Customer Service Centres in the following libraries:

  • Shefford
  • Biggleswade
  • Flitwick
  • Leighton Buzzard & Sandy

Check all opening times for all our Customer Service Centres.

After you've returned the forms

When you have returned the completed the forms and provided copies of your documents which confirm that you qualify for the Housing Register, you will be advised how to express a preference for properties that are available.

The Bedfordshire Homefinder website advertises properties weekly.

The number of people who apply for social housing far exceeds the amount of accommodation that is available. This means that applicants with a lower priority may have a very long wait before they are allocated a property, particularly in areas where lots of people want to live.

Health needs questionnaire

If you or a member of your household has health issues that are affected by your current housing or affects the type of housing that would be suitable for you, please complete and submit the health needs questionnaire by clicking on the button below.

Complete a health needs questionnaire >>

Requesting a review of a decision about your application

If you are unhappy about any decision regarding your application, please make sure all of your circumstances have been taken into account. If there is further information you have not provided please send this to the Housing Register team or complete a change of circumstances form so that your application can be reassessed.

You have a right to have the decision reviewed if you think we have made a decision which is outside the terms of the Allocation Scheme. Please request a form to put your reasons in writing and send to the email or postal return addresses for the Housing Register team.

If you have any queries or wish to discuss your application, please telephone the Housing Register Team on 0300 300 5080.

If you do not qualify for the Housing Register

If you do not qualify to join the Housing Register, details will be retained only for a period of one year for properties which are hard to let.

Occasionally and on an ad-hoc basis a particular type of property becomes available where a suitable tenant cannot be identified. These properties, which are hard to let, will be advertised and applicants who have previously applied to the housing register but do not qualify, can express an interest in these properties.

Housing associations may also be able to help you, as they maintain their own waiting lists.