Apply for housing, Housing Register and bidding for housing

If you don't qualify for housing

If you don’t meet the criteria in our Allocation Scheme, some other rehousing options may help:

  • mutual exchange scheme – you may be able to exchange properties with another tenant, if you are already a social housing tenant
  • housing associations – some housing associations (also called registered providers) have their own housing registers and will accept applications for vacancies in Central Bedfordshire that they do not let through Bedfordshire Homefinder
  • private renting – we work with some private landlords to make it easier for applicants to find privately rented accommodation
  • Help to Buy (including shared ownership) – if you have some savings and sufficient income, you may be able to buy a share of a new home

Mutual exchange

If you already rent your home from us or a housing association (registered provider), you can search for other tenants who want to swap their property.

We work directly with Homeswapper and can provide support to applicants who register to find a mutual exchange.

Bedfordshire Homefinder has contracted with House Exchange to provide a service for applicants to find a mutual exchange.

You can register your property with both services, however if you would like to be supported by the Housing Register team to find an exchange we recommend that you register with Homeswapper. If you find someone you wish to swap homes with you will need permission from your landlord.

Our tenants should check what they need to do before applying for a mutual exchange.

Housing associations with homes in Central Bedfordshire

Some housing associations let a proportion of their vacant properties through their own waiting lists. Contact the following housing associations to find out how to apply direct to them:

Housing associations with homes to rent in other areas

Some housing associations have properties for immediate rent in other parts of the country. You can find out more from their websites:

Renting privately

We know that it's becoming increasingly difficult for tenants to find a suitable rented property within the private sector. Find out how we work with private landlords to assist people who need accommodation to rent privately.

Buying a home through help to buy

Can you afford to buy a share of a housing association home? Contact the East and South East Help to Buy agent for more details.

The government has created the Help to Buy schemes, including Help to Buy: Shared Ownership and Help to Buy: Equity Loan, to help hard-working people take steps to buy their own home.