Alcohol and entertainment licensing

Designated Premises Supervisors

If you are supplying alcohol on your premises, there must be a single Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for each one.

The Designated Premises Supervisor:

  • must have a personal licence
  • must be named on the premises licence
  • can be the DPS for more than one premises

To change the Designated Premises Supervisor, you need to send us:

Please send your completed application to:

Licensing Section
Central Bedfordshire Council
Watling House
High Street North

You also need to send a copy of your application to:

The Police Licensing Officer
Luton Police Station
Buxton Road

You will need to send a further copy to the current designated premises supervisor.

Data protection

The Home Office has advised applicants varying their Premises Licence to specify a new Designated Premises Supervisor, that the outgoing Designated Premises Supervisor should not be sent a copy of the application form because it contains personal information in terms of the new Designated Premises Supervisor’s date of birth, place of birth and nationality.

Instead, the Home Office has advised that it is sufficient to advise the outgoing Designated Premises Supervisor that the application has been made, although a full copy of the application form must still be sent to the police.

Removing the requirement for a DPS for community premises

This legislation includes the ability to transfer responsibility from the DPS to a management committee for community premises.

For premises already with a DPS, the cost of transferring to the management committee is £23.

How to apply

Community premises changing the DPS requirement on a new application or variation to add alcohol sales will pay the appropriate full fee, enclosed with the application to transfer. You can download an application to transfer responsibility from DPS to management committee for community premises below:

DPS to management committee application form (PDF 28.4KB)

You can also download (PDF 273.6KB) an application pack to vary a Designated Premises Supervisor.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply for this licence. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please email the licensing team at