Alcohol and entertainment licensing

Vary a premises licence

A variation is a change to the premises licence, such as changes to the:

  • hours of licensable activity
  • layout of the premises
  • conditions on the licence

We must make the variation to the licence unless comments have been received about the application. If comments are received, we must hold a hearing to consider them.

Before applying, check the fees for premises licences.

Apply to vary a premises licence

You also need to send us:

  • the relevant fee
  • the original premises licence, including the 'Summary Part B'
  • completed 'Form of Certificate'
  • copy of newspaper and window advertisements
  • copy of 'Notice of Application'
  • if alcohol is being supplied, a consent form from the designated premises supervisor

You will also need to advertise your application on and around the premises for at least 28 consecutive days and in a local newspaper within 10 days of your application.

Completed applications should be sent to:

Central Bedfordshire Council
Licensing Team
Thorn Turn
Grendall Lane
Houghton Regis

Applications can be accepted via email and can be sent to

If you need to put tables and chairs on the pavement, outside your premises

Apply online for a tables and chairs licence

What happens next?

Once your application is received you may receive a visit from a licensing officer.

If there are no objections within the 28 days consultation period, the licence will be granted as soon as possible, and no later than 28 days after the consultation period.

If representations are received from a responsible authority or any other person within the 28 day consultation period a hearing will be arranged within the next 28 days.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply for this licence. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please email

Minor variations

There is also a low cost process for making minor variations, where the changes have no adverse impact on the licensing objectives.

If you need a minor variation form, please give us a call on 0300 300 8307. Phone lines are open 9am to 12pm Monday to Friday.

Please also send us:

  • the relevant fee of £89
  • a plan of the premises
  • the existing premises licence, the relevant part of it or an explanation for why you are unable to return the licence

You will need to advertise your application on the premises for 10 consecutive days, beginning on the day you give your application to us.

Completed applications should be sent to:

Licensing Section
Central Bedfordshire Council
Watling House
High Street North

Application forms and information

Vary a premises licence application pack (PDF 327.1KB)

Minor variation application pack (PDF 202.2KB)

Responsible authorities

Checklist (PDF 14.5KB)