Do I qualify for social housing?
Anyone over 16 years old (certain conditions apply when allocating a tenancy to an applicant under the age of 18) and in need of housing can apply for council housing.
Some people might not qualify or be eligible to join the Housing Register.
- certain people who are subject to immigration control
- people with a history of unacceptable behaviour
- people who owe debt to the council or to a registered provider
- people who have not complied with a previous tenancy agreement
- people who have a household income of more than £45,000 to £80,000 a year (dependent upon household size)
- people who own their own home
For more information please refer to our Housing Allocation Scheme (PDF 1.2MB) .