Apply for school transport

Apply for SEN transport - children with special educational needs (SEN) or disabilities

Deadline for applications

For new school starters in September 2021 and any existing pupils who have changed school or moved house, the deadline date for transport applications to be received is 1 June 2021. If you would like to apply for transport for your child, it would assist us if you could do so as soon as possible before the deadline. It may not be possible to process any applications received after the deadline before the start of the autumn term.

If your child has had transport during the current academic year and hasn’t changed school or moved house then you do not need to reapply. If for any reason we do need you to reapply we will be in touch with you.

How to apply

There is no automatic entitlement for pupils with an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) or Statement of Special Educational Needs. However, transport can be provided if you live further than the statutory walking distances (mentioned in the Home to School Transport section 1 above) and:

  • your child attends the nearest or catchment mainstream school, or the nearest appropriate special school, which has been agreed by us as being able to meet their needs and is named in their EHCP
  • it has not already been agreed as part of your EHCP that transport is parental responsibility

If your child lives under the statutory walking distance but their needs would mean it was unsafe for them to walk even when accompanied by an appropriate adult, then transport may also be provided. Written evidence from your doctor or hospital will be required for either you or your child.

Please ensure you have any supporting evidence to hand before completing the application as you are unable to submit the application without this documentation.

Apply for SEN transport

Please be aware that if a student has a qualifying medical need you may be able to apply for a disabled persons bus pass from our Public Transport Team. If you are eligible for such a pass, you will be expected to use it to travel between home and college on public transport where appropriate.

View or download our SEND policy for school transport (PDF).