Dropped kerb - applications, conditions and limitations

Applicant's responsibility checklist for a dropped kerb

This checklist has been put together to ensure the application process is as smooth as possible.

Check 1 – Do you have compliant hardstanding?

It is recommended that you check if you are eligible for a dropped kerb before proceeding with making a driveway in your garden.

Your property has a compliant hard standing area that allows your whole vehicle to be parked, no overhanging onto the pavement and subject to the conditions and limitations for installing a dropped kerb

Or, you are planning to install a hardstanding with appropriate permission.

Check 2 – Is your road classified?

Is the location of your proposed dropped kerb on a classified (A, B or C) road?

Check your road's classification

A roads (marked red on the map) – major roads intended to provide large scale transport links within or between areas.

B roads (marked brown on the map) – roads intended to connect different areas, and to feed traffic between A roads and smaller roads on the network.

C roads (marked yellow on the map) – classified unnumbered – smaller roads intended to connect together unclassified roads with A and B roads, and often linking a housing estate or a village to the rest of the network.

Unclassified (not marked on the map)- local roads intended for local traffic. 60% of roads in the UK fall within this category.

If you live on a classified road (A, B or C roads)

If your property is on a classified road you will need to apply for planning permission, which needs to be approved before you can proceed with your dropped kerb application.

You will need to complete a ‘Householder’ application form and should select Certificate B as you do not own the land where the dropped kerb will be added.

Start a planning application

Fees apply download planning fees (PDF 46.2KB) , fees are under section: Car parks, Service Roads and Other means of Access

If you live on an unclassified road (not an A, B or C road) proceed to check 3.

Check 3 – Is your road unclassified and has a grass verge?

If you live on an unclassified road (not an A, B or C road) but there is not a grass verge, proceed to check 4.

If you are proposing a dropped kerb that would require changing a grass verge to gain access to the road then a change of use planning permission may be required. We will check this for you.

Please include a picture showing the grass verge. Once you've sent over your enquiry, we'll check to see if a change of use planning permission is required and let you know by email. This check can take up to 8 weeks. We'll also explain the next steps, as you can't apply for a dropped kerb until a response is received.

Check with us if you need planning permission

Check 4 – Is your road unclassified and without a grass verge?

You can proceed to submit an online dropped kerb application.

Apply for a dropped kerb

Notes to applicant

  • you need to be aware that we will retain control of any public highway verge and pavement between your property and the road, and you have no rights to alter it
  • for cases where the land is owned by us, a check will be made on receipt of your dropped kerb application and you will be informed accordingly
  • if a third party is required to carry out work to relocate an obstacle, any charges for such work will be your responsibility as the applicant and you will be required to produce written proof of approval by the statutory authority to our highways team before a crossing can be built
  • if the crossing passes over land that does not form part of the public highway (e.g. land owned by us, or belonging to a private landlord) a Deed of Easement might be required. There will be a cost incurred for a deed of easement, if this land is owned by us, the current cost is in the region of £2,000. We are unable to provide any cost details relating to non-council owned land


Read about planning application fees.

Each dropped kerb is calculated on a case-by-case basis due to size, materials and relocation of obstacles.

For each drop kerb application, a non-refundable fee of £124.30 will be charged to determine if it is possible to construct a dropped kerb to your property. This fee will include a site inspection to check the viability of your request. If the proposal is acceptable, a written quotation for the cost of the works will be provided.

Full payment is required before works can commence.