Housing Benefit

Apply for Housing Benefit

Cost of living support - banner

If you're eligible to claim Universal Credit for help with your housing costs, you can't make a new claim for Housing Benefit. You must claim Universal Credit instead. This includes if you have moved from another council area where you were getting Housing Benefit.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if:

  • You have reached State Pension age
  • You live in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

If you are already getting Housing Benefit from Central Bedfordshire Council and you move within Central Bedfordshire, please contact us straight away for advice. In some circumstances you can carry on getting Housing Benefit at your new address, and you may be better off.

Apply for Universal Credit

If you can't claim Universal Credit

If you cannot get Universal Credit for your rent because of your age or the type of housing you live in, you can apply for Housing Benefit instead.

You can get help with rent for private or social housing, and you can claim even if you are working or self-employed. The amount you can get is based on your rent and your household’s income and capital.

Do you need help with your Council Tax?

Universal Credit does not include any money to help with your Council Tax. If you need help with your Council Tax then you must also apply for Council Tax Support This is awarded separately as a reduction on your Council Tax bill.

Apply online

The easiest way to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support is to apply online. You can use the same form to apply for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or both.

Apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

Other ways to claim

If you are not able to claim online, please call us on 0300 300 8306 or email customers@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk. Please provide your name, address and a contact telephone number.

However you claim, we’ll need to see proof of your identity and your National Insurance number (and proof for your partner, if you have one). We may also ask you for other evidence depending on your circumstances, such as:

  • proof of your rent
  • proof of your income, including benefits, pensions and earnings
  • proof of your savings, if you have more than £5,500

You can send scans or photos of your evidence by email to benefits@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk.

Help with your claim

If you need help filling in your claim form, you can call 0300 300 8306 or email customers@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk for advice.

If a friend or relative helps you with your form, you will still be responsible for the information they have filled in, so you must make sure that their answers are correct.

If a claimant is unable to manage their own affairs relating to Housing Benefit, someone can be appointed to act on their behalf. The appointee accepts full responsibility for the claim. Download our appointee form for more information.