Bins and waste collections - check bin collection days
One week we will collect your black lidded rubbish bin, and the following week your recycling and garden waste will be collected. If you receive a food waste collection, this is collected on a weekly basis.
Garden waste collections will be suspended between Monday, 9 December 2019 and Friday, 28 February 2020 inclusive.
Your last collection will be either in the week commencing Monday, 25 November 2019 or Monday, 2 December 2019. Collections will resume from Monday, 2 March 2019.
Check your waste collection dates
We are trialling a new way of checking waste collection dates using a chatbot. Click on the bin image to open this up.
You'll see this on your screen:
- bottom right on a computer screen
- floating image on the right if you are on a mobile or tablet
Type in your street name only (you don't need to tell us your town / village or postcode) to check your next bin day. As this is a trial, please click the feedback tab when you've used this to let us know what you thought of it and if we can make any improvements.
No bin day results?
Our bin bot can only check for addresses in Central Bedfordshire. If you're not sure if we're your council, then you can check on GOV.UK - find your council. Your property might fall into Bedford Borough Council's area, in which case you can check your bin collections on their website.
Putting out rubbish for collection
On collection day:
- leave bins / garden waste sacks at the boundary of your property by 7am
- check bins / garden waste sacks don't obstruct the pavement
- don't overload bins - garden waste bags have a weight limit of 10kg (see map below); wheelie bins have a weight limit of 85kg (see map below) - bins which are considered too heavy for safe handling and emptying will not be emptied (even if they weigh less than 85kg)
- take your containers back onto your property once they've been collected
If you put your rubbish out and we don't collect it, you can report a missed bin collection. We explain how to do this and possible reasons for why collection wasn't made e.g. wrong bin out on the wrong day.
Help putting waste out
We will help residents who are unable to move their waste and recycling containers to the normal collection point (highway boundary) themselves and do not have anyone living at the address who is available to assist. Find out about assisted bin collection.
Bins and sacks we use
We provide different bins depending on where you live. These are shown in this image.