We provide a green-lid wheelie bin (for residents in the north) or a orange-lidded wheelie bin (for residents in the south) for dry recycling.
For houses that cannot accommodate bins, please contact us on 0300 300 8302 and we will provide you with the most appropriate container.
We collect recycling fortnightly (on the same collection day but on the alternative week to your refuse collection). Check your bin calendar for the exact dates of collection.
Please ensure recycling is clean, dry has no food remains and is squashed before placing loose in your bin / bag.
Please do not place recyclable items in either black sacks or plastic bags, as your bin will not be collected.
We want to help you to recycle right and that’s why we’ve produced a short video to show examples of some plastics which can and can’t go in the recycling bin:
What goes in your recycling bin or bag?
Cartons: (rinsed and squashed)
- food and drink cartons
Plastic food packaging and plastic bottles (rinsed, no food remains, leave lids on)
- drinks bottles
- detergent bottles
- margarine tubs
- yoghurt pots
- plastic milk bottles
- food and meat trays (no black plastics)
- bread wrappers
- fruit and vegetable punnets
- shampoo / skincare bottles
- empty plastic carrier bags (no black bin liners)
We can’t accept: black plastic food trays. All biscuit wrappers and crisp packets can be recycled via Terracycle.
- newspaper and magazines
- leaflets and brochures
- catalogues and directories (including yellow pages)
- scrap paper, wrapping and tissue paper
- shredded paper (please either place in an old cereal box or bunch up and put in an envelope / wrap in newspaper)
- computer printout paper
- paperback books
We can’t accept: paper covered in glitter and wallpaper
Cardboard: (dry, no food remains)
- cereal and tissue boxes
- sleeves from ready meals
- egg boxes
- greeting cards
- corrugated and flat cardboard (torn into A4 size please; don't leave large sheets of cardboard at the side of the bin as this won't be collected)
We can’t accept: greeting cards covered in glitter
Household metal packaging / cans, tins and foil: (rinsed, no food remains)
- all food and drink cans
- biscuit, cake and sweet tins
- kitchen foil
- tin foil takeaway containers
Aerosols (empty, please remove lids):
- air freshener
- deodorants and hairspray cans
What stays out of your recycling bin or bag?
- biscuit and sweet wrappers
- glass bottles and jars
- food waste (including items covered in grease e.g. pizza boxes)
- crisp packets (find out how to recycle crisp packets with TerraCycle)
- pet food pouches (find out how to recycle pet food pouches with TerraCycle)
- plastic/foil blister packs
- items inside plastic bags or sacks where we can't see the contents (like black sacks and carrier bags)
- garden waste
- rubble, hardcore and wood
- nappies and sanitary waste
- hard plastics (like CD cases, flowerpots)
- small electrical items*
- household batteries*
- textiles and shoes*
*Bag separately and place next to your recycling or refuse bin. Please don't place in your bin, as these won't be recycled.
Order food waste bags, garden waste sacks or a bin
You can now order replacement food waste bags and garden waste sacks online.
If your waste bin is lost or damaged please telephone 0300 300 8302 or email email@example.com to request a new one.
Requesting a bigger bin
You can request a larger recycling bin (up to 360 litres), free of charge. We'll need your full postal address and a contact telephone number. One of our officers will then get in touch to assess how suitable a larger bin will be.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 300 8302 to request a larger recycling bin.