We provide a green-lid wheelie bin (for residents in the north) or an orange-lidded wheelie bin (for residents in the south) for dry recycling.
For houses that cannot accommodate bins, call 0300 300 8302 and we will provide you with the most appropriate container.
We collect recycling fortnightly (on the same collection day but on the alternative week to your refuse collection). Check your bin calendar for the exact dates of collection.
Please ensure recycling is clean, dry has no food remains and is squashed before placing it loose in your bin/bag. Please do not place recyclable items in either black sacks or plastic bags, as your bin will not be collected.
What goes in your recycling bin or bag?
Cartons: (rinsed and squashed)
- food and drink cartons
Plastic pots, tubs, trays and bottles (rinsed, no food remains, leave lids on)
- drinks bottles
- detergent bottles
- margarine tubs
- yoghurt pots
- plastic milk bottles
- food and meat trays (no black plastics)
- fruit and vegetable punnets
- shampoo/skincare bottles
We can’t accept black plastic food trays. Soft and flexible plastics, such as biscuit wrappers, crisp packets and bread wrappers, can be recycled at most supermarkets.
- newspaper and magazines
- leaflets and brochures
- catalogues and directories (including yellow pages)
- envelopes (leave window in)
- scrap paper, wrapping and tissue paper
- shredded paper (please either place in an old cereal box or bunch up and put in an envelope/wrap in newspaper)
- computer printout paper
- paperback books
We can’t accept: paper covered in glitter and wallpaper
Cardboard: (dry, no food remains)
- cereal and tissue boxes
- sleeves from ready meals
- egg boxes
- greeting cards
- corrugated and flat cardboard (torn into A4 size please; don't leave large sheets of cardboard or cardboard boxes at the side of the bin as this won't be collected)
We can’t accept: greeting cards covered in glitter
Household metal packaging/cans, tins and foil: (rinsed, no food remains)
- all food and drink cans
- biscuit, cake and sweet tins
- kitchen foil
- tin foil takeaway containers
Aerosols (empty, please leave lids on):
- air freshener
- deodorants and hairspray cans
What stays out of your recycling bin or bag?
- bagged waste (please keep all recycling loose)
- nappies and sanitary waste
- food waste (including items covered in grease e.g. pizza boxes)
- biscuit and sweet wrappers
- glass bottles and jars
- crisp packets (take to supermarket)
- pet food pouches (take clean pouches to supermarket)
- toothpaste and puree tubes
- non-household metal packagings, such as scrap metal, bars, nuts and bolts
- plastic/foil blister packs (these can be recycled via many pharmacy chains, please ask in-store for details)
- compostable or biodegradable bags or packaging
- garden waste
- rubble, hardcore and wood
- hard plastics (like CD cases, flowerpots)
- small electrical items, such as kettles and hairdryers*
- household batteries*
- textiles and shoes*
*Bag separately and place next to your recycling or refuse bin. Please don't place in your bin, as these won't be recycled.
Need a handy reminder for the fridge?
You can always download our dry recycling leaflet (PDF), print it and stick it to the fridge (or any other surface that takes your fancy!)