Support for carers

Breaks for carers

Take a break with our vouchers scheme

We support unpaid carers to take a break from their caring role and to enjoy some time for themselves. This could be to pursue social, educational or employment opportunities or just relax and have some leisure time.

One of the ways we can support you is through carers' vouchers.

How to get your carers' voucher

To obtain a carers' voucher, you will need to have a carers' assessment which will be undertaken by social services. You can ask for a carers' assessment even if the person you care for doesn't receive any services from us. Assessments are free of charge.

You will be entitled to an assessment regardless of the amount or type of care you provide, your financial means or your level of need for support. You don't necessarily have to live with the person you are looking after or be caring full-time to have an assessment. You may be juggling work and care which is having a big impact on your life.

If you and the person you are looking after agree, a combined assessment of both your needs can be undertaken at the same time.

The assessment can be done face-to-face, over the telephone or online.

After the assessment, we will decide if you are eligible to receive a carers' service and if you are, all the options available will be discussed with you. One of those options is carers' vouchers.

A bit more about carers' vouchers

If we agree to award you carers' vouchers, you will receive an agreed allocation each month. Each voucher is worth one hour of care and we have a list of approved home care agencies that will accept the vouchers. You can decide to take a short break each week or save up the vouchers and take a longer break, for example, a day per month. The vouchers are valid for three months from date of issue. You will be able to arrange the care directly with your chosen agency and you give them the voucher(s) in exchange for the care they provide.

What can the vouchers be used for?

The agency you choose from the approved list to provide the care will arrange for someone to sit with the cared for person in their home while you take a break.

The sitting service is provided to you, the carer, to allow you to take a break. This means that if the cared for person requires any type of service themselves (such as personal care which includes moving and handling, bathing etc) then the relevant health or social services agency should be contacted to provide this.

Back to the top