Council Tax Support

Apply for Council Tax Support

Most households on lower incomes can get a Council Tax Support reduction on their Council Tax bill. You could get Council Tax Support if:

  • you are liable to pay Council Tax for the property you live in
  • your household’s income and capital are below a certain level

You can get help with your Council Tax whether you own or rent your home, and you can claim even if you are working or self-employed.

Apply online

The easiest way to claim Council Tax Support is to apply online.

Apply for Council Tax Support

Other ways to claim

If you are not able to claim online, please call us on 0300 300 8306 or email Please provide your name, address and a contact telephone number.

However you claim, we’ll need to see proof of your identity and your National Insurance number (and proof for your partner, if you have one). We may also ask you for other evidence depending on your circumstances, such as:

  • proof of your income, including benefits, pensions and earnings
  • proof of your savings, if you have more than £5,500

You can send scans or photos of your evidence by email to

Help with your claim

If you need help filling in your claim form, you can call 0300 300 8306 or email for advice. If a friend or relative helps you with your form, you will still be responsible for the information they have filled in, so you must make sure that their answers are correct.

If a claimant is unable to manage their own affairs relating to Council Tax Support, someone can be appointed to act on their behalf. The appointee accepts full responsibility for the claim. Download our appointee form (PDF) for more information.

Other help with your Council Tax

You may also be able to get a discount or exemption to reduce your Council Tax. You don’t have to be on a low income to qualify for a discount or exemption. You can get a 25% single-person discount if you live alone, and there are also discounts if other adults in your home are disregarded for Council Tax purposes (e.g. students).

Find out more and apply online for a discount or exemption.