How much Council Tax support can you get?
How coronavirus is affecting Council Tax Support
Your Council Tax Support will depend on:
- your Council Tax charge
- whether you are over state pension credit age
- the amount you need to live on
- your household income and capital
You do not need to be getting any other benefits to get Council Tax Support.
You cannot get any Council Tax Support if:
- you have savings over £16,000 and do not get Pension Guarantee Credit
- you are an asylum seeker or do not have a qualifying right to reside in the UK
- you are not liable for Council Tax on the property you live in (for example, if you are a full-time student)
The amount of support you can get depends on which Council Tax Support scheme applies to you. Different schemes apply to working age people and people over the state pension credit age
If you are over state pension credit age
Your local Council Tax Support will be worked out using a national reduction scheme. Under the national scheme, you can claim:
- Council Tax Support based on your own household income and capital
- Second Adult Rebate if you don't get a single person discount on your Council Tax because you share your home with someone who is not your partner, is on a low income and doesn't pay rent
Your maximum Council Tax Support will be 100% of your Council Tax liability.
If you would qualify for Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate, we will pay you whichever is higher. You can claim Second Adult Rebate even if you don't qualify for any Council Tax Support based on your own income and capital.
If you are under state pension credit age
Every council in England has set their own reduction scheme for working age people. Your Council Tax Support will be worked out using a local reduction scheme which only applies in Central Bedfordshire. Under the national scheme, you can only claim Council Tax Support. There is no local Second Adult Rebate.
Your maximum Council Tax support will be 75% of your Council Tax liability, unless you are disabled or vulnerable. Our local Council Tax support scheme gives full details about who is protected.