Council Tax discounts and exemptions

Apply for a Council Tax discount / exemption

You can apply online for a Single Person Discount and reductions for all of the following:

  • paid (employed) carers
  • unpaid carers
  • people in detention (prison)
  • people in hospital or residential care
  • severe mental impairment
  • students
  • disabled person’s band reduction
  • job-related dwelling discount

Apply for Single Person Discount

Apply for a different discount

Other ways to apply

You can also apply for a discount, reduction or exemption by:

  • downloading an application form below, to print and return to us by post or in person
  • contacting us by telephone or email, to get a paper copy of the application form sent to you

Download a discount application for:

If the discount you would like to apply for is not listed above, please contact us for more details about how to apply.

If you apply for a Council Tax reduction, discount or exemption, you must carry on paying the amount specified on your current bill, until you receive a new one. If we reduce your bill and you have paid too much Council Tax, we will send you a refund.

Documents to support your application

For some discount applications, we will also ask you to provide a certificate completed by a qualified person to confirm your circumstances. After the certificate has been completed by a qualified person, please return it to us by post, or email a photo or scanned copy to

If you complete a paper application form, a certificate will be included on your form. If you are applying online or need a new certificate, you can print a blank certificate below. You must still complete an application for a discount – a certificate will not be treated as an application.

Contact us

Telephone: 0300 300 8306

Please quote your Council Tax account reference in all correspondence – your account reference is 8 or 9 digits long and starts with a 4, 7 or 8. You can find it on your Council Tax bill or any letter we’ve sent about your Council Tax.