Trees and high hedges

Trees in conservation areas

We protect trees in conservation areas to conserve the special character of the area.

Some trees may also have tree preservation order (TPO) on them.

Carrying out works

If you would like to carry out works to a tree in a conservation area, you will need to make an application. 

View the checklist before making an application

Before you can carry out any works you must submit an application to us. No works can be carried out until the application has been considered and you have been informed by us that you can proceed.

We will acknowledge receipt of your notification and may carry out a site visit to consider the proposed work.

We will then consider your proposal and decide:

  • if the work is allowed
  • to serve a tree preservation order to control the proposed work

We may also write to local amenity groups or parish councils to tell them about your proposal.

We will enter your proposal in the Register of Proposed Work to Trees in a Conservation Area.

View the register of proposed work