Alternative waste facilities

Commercial waste

We have a duty to collect commercial waste, if requested.

However, we advise a company requiring a waste collection service to seek quotes from the private sector as this is invariably the most cost effective solution.

We take an active interest in how commercial waste is collected and disposed of and can require businesses to provide details of the arrangements they have in place.

As well as storing waste in a safe and secure manner, businesses must ensure that their contractor is licensed with the Environment Agency as a waste carrier.

Ask to see the company or person's Waste Carriers' Licence. This will be issued by the Environment Agency and display their logo and will show the licence holder’s details (if you are in any doubt about this being legitimate, you can call the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506 or email

You can also check if your contractor is a licensed carrier on the Environment Agency’s website.

The contractor must also supply its customers with a waste transfer note, which describes the kind of waste collected and where it will be disposed.

Alternatively, Thorn Turn Household Waste Recycling Centre (tidy tip) offers a 'pay by the weight', cost-effective recycling and waste disposal service to traders.