A travel plan is a co-ordinated strategy of measures to promote sustainable travel, with an emphasis on reducing reliance on single occupancy car journeys.
Preparing a travel plan will help you to obtain planning permission and is a requirement for most major planning applications.
We have produced detailed guidance on travel plans that you will need to follow if a travel plan is necessary for your development.
Key objectives include:
- improving site access and travel choice
- meeting an organisation's environmental standards
- increasing business efficiency and equality
- reducing congestion and demand for parking spaces
- ensuring adequate provision for people with disabilities
- providing choice and quality access to key services (such as hospitals, education and shops)
- delivering local environmental improvements from reduced congestion, pollution and noise
- tackling social exclusion and rural isolation
- tackling obesity by providing opportunities for active, healthy travel
You will need to show that your new development supports all ‘smarter’ travel options.