Difficulty paying your Council Tax

Council Tax - what enforcement can be taken?

COVID-19 - Coronavirus and Council Tax support

Find out how you may be able to get support.

Deductions from your salary: we can order your employer to deduct a regular amount from your salary towards your unpaid Council Tax.

Deductions from your benefit: we can apply to the Benefits Agency for direct deductions to be made from your benefit, if you are receiving certain types of benefit.

Enforcement Agents acting on behalf of Central Bedfordshire Council: Enforcement Agents will visit your home and seize your possessions to sell, in order to clear your outstanding debt. The money raised will go towards paying your debt, plus the Enforcement Agent costs incurred.

Please note these costs can be substantial. Download a list of Enforcement Agent costs (PDF 18.3KB) .

Committal action: if the Enforcement Agent action is unsuccessful in collecting your debt, we can apply to the Magistrates' Court for a warrant committing you to prison for up to 3 months. We would only take this action where other efforts to collect your arrears have failed.

Bankruptcy: we may start bankruptcy proceedings to recover your outstanding Council Tax. You are liable for the costs incurred in this process. This will be a minimum of £800 and rises steeply beyond that.

Charging order: in certain circumstances, we can apply to the court for a charging order which places a secured charge on your property. This can, in some cases force the sale of your property to pay the outstanding Council Tax. You will be liable for the substantial legal fees and disbursements incurred in this process.

View or download our charging order and insolvency procedure.

Contact us

Telephone: 0300 300 8011

Please quote your Council Tax account reference in all correspondence – your account reference is 8 or 9 digits long and starts with a 4, 7 or 8. You can find it on your Council Tax bill or any letter we’ve sent about your Council Tax.