Council Tax bill - how we work it out
These are the steps we take to work out your Council Tax bill:
- We work out how much money we need to raise from Council Tax - see our planned spending 2022-2023
- We divide the cost between all the properties in Central Bedfordshire – we do this based on everyone paying the same (a Band D rate).
- We work out how much should be paid for your individual property – this depends on your Council Tax band, and assumes that the property is occupied by at least 2 adults.
- We add on the amount you have to pay for Police and Fire service charges and your town or parish council – they work out their budgets separately, but the amount you have to pay still depends on your Council Tax band. You can also view the town and parish council precept.
- We award any Council Tax Support and discounts you are entitled to, or apply an extra charge if your property is long-term empty.
We then work out how much your instalments will be – this depends on the instalment plan you are on, but standard Council Tax instalments are spread over a 10 month period, due on the 5th of each month from April to January.
The easiest way to pay your bill is by Direct Debit – find out how to set this up, and about other methods of payment available on pay Council Tax.