Appeal your Council Tax bill or Council Tax band

Appeal your Council Tax band

Council Tax bands are decided by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). You must contact them to challenge your Council Tax band – we cannot change your band or appeal it on your behalf.

Check and challenge your Council Tax band

You can find out more about the process to challenge your band on GOV.UK or contact the Valuation Office Agency for advice. You can:

You must keep paying your original Council Tax bill while you appeal.

How much does it cost?

It is free to check and challenge your Council Tax band.

The VOA has published a warning against companies and individuals operating Council Tax rebanding scams (link opens in new window)

What happens next?

The VOA will explain the reasons why it has allocated your property to the current band. It will try and resolve your query, and may conduct a more detailed ‘band review’ if it cannot answer your questions straight away.

In some limited circumstances, you can also make a formal proposal to alter the Council Tax list.

If you disagree with a decision by the VOA, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal.
Appeal online or find out more about the appeals process on the Valuation Tribunal website (link opens in new window).

What if I have paid too much Council Tax?

If your appeal is successful and you have paid too much Council Tax, you will be entitled to a refund. The Valuation Office Agency and Valuation Tribunal will tell us if we need to change your Council Tax bill.

If you are entitled to a refund, we will write to you.