Rent and deposit advice

Help with your rent

Universal Credit or housing benefit helps people with low income pay their rent. You do not have to be claiming any other benefits to get housing benefit or be out of work. You may also be able to get help with your Council Tax bill.

You can get help if you're renting a property from:

  • us
  • a housing association
  • a private landlord

Private renting

Your housing benefit is normally paid as a local housing allowance. Your benefit is based on local rents in your area, for a property with the right number of bedrooms for your household.