About the High Street Improvement Scheme - now closed
This was a £1 million capital fund, set aside from our Market Town Regeneration Fund, to deliver a high street improvement scheme, which closed in June 2018.
About the funding
Successful businesses were eligible to apply for a capital improvement grant, having met certain criteria, such as the business being an 'independent' and not part of a multiple chain of stores. Only those areas with participating town councils were eligible for the scheme.
Grants of up to £20,000 (and in exceptional cases up to £50,000) were available to enable businesses to:
- carry out external redecoration to the front of the business
- improve a privately-owned forecourt or threshold facing the high street
- improve or replace the existing fascia or signage
- replace windows or window frames and doors
- highlight ornate building features such as cornicing and other architectural features
- improve or replace exterior lighting
- provide new awnings
- create a new brand identity for signage purposes
- provide other shop front improvements
The scheme funded up to 60% of required works (with 40% coming from private and other public sector sources) and included design / build costs and any planning permission fees required. Grants couldn't be used retrospectively to fund works that have already been carried out.