About the new transport interchange, in Flitwick
Work has started on a new transport interchange hub in Flitwick. The new transport interchange will connect bus and rail services for the community and will feature a number of improvements, including:
- a new station forecourt with pedestrian, cycle and vehicle access
- a new passenger drop-off and dedicated taxi areas
- a public transport interchange with three bus stops, passenger waiting areas, including real-time departure information
- improvements to Steppingley Road, including vehicle access to both the station and Tesco opposite
- dedicated facilities for Center Parcs Woburn passenger collection and drop-off
We've worked closely with our partners at both Network Rail and Govia Thameslink Railways (GTR) to develop proposals that will radically improve how the station functions.
We have also worked in collaboration with the South East Midlands Local Economic Partnership (SEMLEP) who are contributing nearly £2.2 million in funding from the government’s Getting Building Fund. This funding is added to our existing investment into the scheme, of which we are investing nearly £2.5 million into the project, alongside £167,000 in developer contributions.
Construction of the hub is scheduled to be completed by March 2023.