Street trading consent | Central Bedfordshire Council

Street trading consent

You will need street traders' consent if you want to trade in a street. This could include:

  • hot and cold food sellers (e.g. burger vans, kebabs, ice-cream vans, doughnut stalls)
  • sellers of non-food products from any vehicle, stall, barrow, trailer or any other moveable or static structure.

You will not need a licence for:

  • fêtes, carnivals or similar community-based and run events
  • non-commercial or charitable events
  • farmers' markets (producer-managed marketplace for local producers to sell their own produce direct to local people)
  • sales of articles by householders on land contiguous with their homes

Type of licence and fees

New consent (12 months): £431

New one-off occasion consent (up to 2 months): £97

Renewal: £431

How to apply

You can apply for either a street trading permit 

Along with this application form, you:

  • must submit the appropriate fee
  • must submit relevant plans / map / route of area you will be trading in
  • must submit a photograph of stall / vehicle
  • must submit evidence of public liability insurance
  • should have permission of the land owner of the area where you wish to trade
  • should be registered as a food business in the area where the stall / vehicle is stored

Street trading application form (PDF 276.7KB)

Street trading policy (PDF 134.7KB)

Checklist (PDF 16KB)

What happens next?

An officer may visit the applicant and inspect the vehicle, barrow, cart, van, portable stall or other vehicle or premises which the applicant intends to trade from.

We will consult with the following bodies before deciding an application:

  • Central Bedfordshire Council Highways
  • Central Bedfordshire Council Planning
  • Central Bedfordshire Council Public Protection Service (in respect of food hygiene, health and safety and nuisance matters)
  • Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service
  • Bedfordshire Police
  • the relevant Parish Council

A period of 21 days will be allowed for those consulted to respond, and for any comments to be taken into consideration before deciding the application.

We will then let you know the outcome of your application.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply for this licence. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please email the licensing team at

Appeals and redress

The consultation period is 21 days, the council will normally seek to grant a consent (see Street trading policy (PDF 134.7KB) ).

Where an application is refused reasons will be given in writing to the applicant.

The Act does not provide for an appeal but the Council’s complaints procedure will apply.

Street trading consent may be revoked at any time. Where consent is surrendered or revoked the council will remit or refund as appropriate, the whole or part of any fee paid.