Housing benefit information for landlords

Housing Benefit overpayments and appeals

We may ask you to repay overpayments of Housing Benefit which we have paid directly to you, for example, if:

  • we think that you caused or contributed to the overpayment – for example, by not telling us that your tenant had moved out
  • the overpayment was due to our error, but you could reasonably have known you were being overpaid

If you do not agree with our decision to ask you to repay an overpayment, you can ask us to look at our decision again. Find out more about the appeals process on our benefit appeals page.

Where we consider that the overpayment has been caused by fraud and the landlord has not been involved, we will normally ask the claimant to repay the overpayment. If you think your tenant may be committing benefit fraud, report them to the benefit fraud team.

Contact us

Telephone: 0300 300 8306
Email: benefits@centralbedfordshire.gov.ukempty

Please quote your tenant’s benefit claim reference if you know it – your tenant’s claim reference is either an 8 digit number starting with 900, or a 5 digit number. You can find it on any letter we’ve sent about your tenant’s Housing Benefit or on your regular Landlord Payment Schedules.