Housing benefit information for landlords

Your responsibilities as a landlord

If you are receiving direct payments of Housing Benefit, you must tell us immediately of any changes in your tenant's circumstances that may affect their benefit entitlement. This includes:

  • your tenant moving out of the property, even if they are still liable for rent
  • you increasing or decreasing their rent
  • finding out that your tenant has started work
  • your tenant has a partner who moves into the property with them

We expect you to make regular checks to confirm that your tenant is still living at the property where you are receiving Housing Benefit payments.

If you knowingly withhold information from us, or deliberately fail to report a change in your tenant's circumstances, this could be an offence. For example, we may decide that you have committed benefit fraud if you know your tenant has moved out but you continue to accept benefit payments.

How to report a change

To report a change in your tenant's circumstances, you can call, email or write to us.

Telephone: 0300 300 8306
Email: benefits@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk

Write to us

Customer Accounts (Benefits)
Central Bedfordshire Council
Watling House
High Street North

Please quote your tenant’s benefit claim reference if you know it – your tenant’s claim reference is either an 8 digit number starting with 900, or a 5 digit number. You can find it on any letter we’ve sent about your tenant’s Housing Benefit or on your regular Landlord Payment Schedules.