School travel plans
Schools in Central Bedfordshire are encouraged to sign up to Modeshift STARS, the national schools awards scheme that has been established to recognise schools who have demonstrated excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable travel.
We work with schools to develop, monitor and update school travel plans. These are designed to promote sustainable travel and improve levels of safety, health and fitness through reducing traffic and congestion.
School travel plans are designed to:
- reduce the number of car trips on journeys to and from schools
- encourage walking and cycling and improve safety on the school journey
- remove barriers to walking, cycling and using public transport for school journeys
- increase the number of young people and adults choosing 'active travel' options
- increase understanding of the travel options available
- provide information to allow school communities to understand the benefits of active, sustainable transport
A school travel plan is a document drawn up by the school to tackle transport problems on and around its site, through practical measures including:
- public transport initiatives
- car sharing
- providing information on routes and travel choices
- road safety awareness /initiatives
It is a living document that is monitored and updated by each school and is embedded into school life and policy.