Report fly-tipping or illegal waste dumping

Report fly-tipping

You can report fly-tipping on the FixMyStreet website. 

Report fly-tipping on FixMyStreet

What we'll need to know

If you see fly-tipped waste, or witness someone in the act of fly-tipping, here's what we need to know:

  • any vehicles involved (please note registration numbers). It's possible to prosecute if only the vehicle, not the driver, is identifiable (the person controlling the use of the vehicle can be prosecuted)
  • what you saw (were there people involved? What were they wearing?)
  • where the fly-tipping is (road names and town / village names are always helpful)
  • when you saw the fly-tipping (day, date and time are really helpful for us)

We'll also need to know:

  • your name
  • your address
  • a contact telephone number

What happens after fly-tipping is reported?

The first thing we do is find out who owns the land. We can then decide how urgently the waste needs to be removed. If it’s causing a public health hazard or a major obstruction, then we will prioritise this over waste which is an eyesore but causes no immediate problem.

If fly-tipping is on public land

We will inspect the problem, look for evidence of who fly-tipped and check the waste for hazards. We treat obstructions on the road as a priority and will usually inspect within 2 hours and clear the problem as soon as possible.

Obstructions on footways

We will inspect these as soon as possible. If the obstruction is fly-tipping (dumped rubbish) we will move the waste to the side of the footway, but we will not clear it immediately.

Our Anti-Social Behavioural and Statutory Nuisance Team will come and assess the rubbish to see if there is anything there that can be used to identify the person(s) who dumped it (e.g. a household bill) before removing it.

Fly-tipping on private land

Fly-tipping on private land such as in fields, gateways, driveways; housing association land and private car parks should be reported to the landowner. We will inspect the problem and look for evidence of who fly-tipped. Fly-tipping on private land is the landowner's responsibility, but we may ask the landowner to remove rubbish dumped on their land.

Fly-tipping on motorways

Fly-tipping on motorways and trunk roads should be reported to the Highways Agency on 0300 123 5000.

Take care around fly-tipping

If you discover fly-tipped waste after the tippers have left, please do not:

  • touch the waste, as fly-tipped waste can be dangerous – it may contain syringes, broken glass, asbestos, toxic chemicals or other hazardous substances
  • disturb the site, as there may be evidence that could help identify the culprits and lead to their prosecution