Direct payments: children with disabilities

Using direct payments for children with disabilities

They can be used for:

  • personal care in the child's own home
  • sessional support for a child taking part in recreational, leisure, cultural or sporting activities
  • family based short break care
  • residential short break care
  • holiday support

For guidelines about each of the above services, please contact your social worker.

They cannot be used for:

  • service provided by the local council
  • services that are the responsibility of other agencies, for example NHS trusts or schools
  • long term residential care