Apply for Council Tax Support
Most households on lower incomes can get a Council Tax Support reduction on their Council Tax bill. You could get Council Tax Support if:
- you are liable to pay Council Tax for the property you live in
- your household’s income and capital are below a certain level
You can get help with your Council Tax whether you own or rent your home, and you can claim even if you are working or self-employed.
The easiest way to claim Council Tax Support is to apply online.
Please note: We have recently changed our online claim form. If you started a claim on our previous form, you have until 30 September 2016 to complete your application.
Other ways to claim
You can also:
- call us on 0300 300 8306 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for a postal form
- visit any of our Customer Service Centres to collect a form and get help filling it in
However you claim, we’ll need to see proof of your identity and your National Insurance number (and proof for your partner, if you have one). We may also ask you for other evidence depending on your circumstances, such as:
- proof of your income, including benefits, pensions and earnings
- proof of your savings, if you have more than £5,500
Help with your claim
If you need help filling in your claim form, you can visit any of our Customer Service Centres. You can also call or email us for advice.
If a friend or relative helps you with your form, you will still be responsible for the information they have filled in, so you must make sure that their answers are correct.
If a claimant is unable to manage their own affairs relating to Housing Benefit, someone can be appointed to act on their behalf. The appointee accepts full responsibility for the claim. Download our appointee form for more information (PDF 55.3KB) .