We're seeking parent governor representatives for children’s committee
Tuesday, 14 December 2021
We're seeking nominees for a replacement volunteer parent governor representatives role on our Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee.
Nominations for the post are being sought from all parent governors of academy schools within Central Bedfordshire.
Candidates are required to self-nominate and parent governors are eligible in any school phase (lower, primary, middle, secondary or upper) within an academy.
Our Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee scrutinises performance, considers children’s services policy and offers comments that inform our Executive committee in making decisions.
It is one of four overview and scrutiny committees which are responsible for reviewing service delivery and performance, helping to develop our policy and making recommendations to our Executive. Its role includes overseeing the Executive’s education functions.
The role of a parent governor representative is to:
- act as a non-political voice for parents in the area; representing to us the main education issues which concern parents of pupils maintained by us
- liaise with the other parent governor representatives on their own local authority
- attend and contribute to the meetings of the Children's Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee, and any working group meetings that might be set up by that committee and to which you may be appointed as a representative
- establish good relations with other members of the Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee and our officers
- feed back our discussions and decisions made on education to the parents
- abide by our rules on committee procedures (the Constitution)
- act with due propriety according to standards laid down for the conduct of councillors and co-opted members in local government
The closing date for nominations is 4pm on 14 January 2022. If there is more than one candidate, an election will begin on 17 January 2022 with a closing date of 4pm on 11 February 2022.
The successful candidate will be appointed until 30 April 2023.
The Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee meets during the day, roughly every eight weeks, usually at Priory House, in Chicksands. The first meeting successful candidates would be required to attend is 1 March 2022, but if an election is necessary, the successful candidates would attend their first meeting on 12 April 2022.
Although the parent governor representatives are voluntary positions, they will receive a meetings allowance of £75 for up to four hours or £150 for more than four hours, together with travel expenses.