About the new community and leisure centre in Houghton Regis
Construction is now underway on the new community and leisure centre, which will be delivered by Morgan Sindall Construction.
The project benefits from a £20 million government Levelling Up Fund grant and will offer residents a range of new, exciting and modern sports facilities and community amenities within the Kingsland Campus to the south of Sundon Road, at the junction with Parkside Drive.
The new, two-storey, community and leisure hub will include:
- a 25-metre eight-lane main pool, which is more than double the size of the existing Houghton Regis Leisure Centre pool
- a learner pool with a movable floor to raise or lower the depth for swimming lessons and classes
- a separate shallow pool for very young children
- a substantial fitness suite, with twice the number of fitness stations than at the existing centre
- a dedicated spinning bikes studio
- multi-use exercise studios which provide dedicated spaces for a variety of classes and other activities
- 2 squash courts
- a creche
To complement the sports facilities, the building will have a spacious foyer and reception area, with a large café open for centre users and the public, community spaces, a creche and Changing Places facilities for disabled visitors.
Outside there will be a children’s play area available for visitors and the community, and a fitness trail will be set amongst the landscaped areas which surround the centre.
A large 238-space car park will include electric vehicle charging points, motorcycle parking, accessible parking bays and cycle parking. Improved walking and cycling routes will connect the building to other parts of the Kingsland Campus and the local community.
The new centre will be sited near the new Houstone School, and a community use agreement will mean the school’s first-class sports facilities will also be available for the community to use. School facilities will include a new sports hall as well as a range of outdoor grass pitches and a 3G artificial floodlit pitch.
Please visit Morgan Sindall's website for regular updates on progress.
The existing Houghton Regis Leisure Centre will remain open until the new centre is complete to ensure residents have continuous access to leisure provision.