Home improvements

Housing grants and loan assistance for home owners

Private sector housing renewal policy

We recognise that some vulnerable homeowners may need help to carry out essential health and safety related works. Our Housing Assistance Policy (PDF 188.2KB) contains the types of loans and grants that we can provide to help meet priority housing issues. All types of assistance are discretionary and completely dependent upon funding being available.

The two highest priorities within the policy are safety, security of older persons and other vulnerable groups, living within their home, and reducing cases of fuel poverty. When funding is scarce, we will help meet the highest priorities.

Further information can be obtained by contacting 0300 300 8767 and asking for the Housing Solutions Team, or by emailing psh@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk.

What type of assistance can we provide?

We can provide safety, security and emergency repair assistance (PDF 248.3KB) at most times, to help meet the highest priorities.

Home Improvement Assistance (PDF 230.8KB) can sometimes be available for more significant works such as renewing a worn out roof, or dangerous wiring.

Empty homes

Owners of long term empty homes may be eligible for Empty Homes Loan Assistance (PDF 197.4KB) ) in order to carry out works to enable the property to be re-occupied safely.

Residents of park homes may be eligible for smaller grants to help repair their homes or make them warmer or safer, but these homes are not eligible for loan assistance.

All types of grants or loans (except Empty Homes Loan Assistance) are subject to a financial test of resources, based upon the Government’s means test for benefits. Where possible, we will guide residents to other potential sources of funding where it cannot help directly.

What type of assistance is currently available?

Due to a continually changing budget situation please contact the private sector housing team directly on 0300 300 8767, or by emailing psh@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk, and an officer will advise you on the current availability.

Even where financial assistance is not available the officer may be able to advise on how to deal with problems that you feel you have with your home. We can even provide you with details of contractors whom you may wish to employ.

Other issues and more information

If you are the owner of a property which may be cold, unsafe, in disrepair or lacking basic amenities, please contact the Housing Solutions Team on 0300 300 8767.