Animal hygiene

Feed and food hygiene at primary producers

Food Hygiene Regulations apply to primary producers of food such as farmers and growers. Primary producers are required to register with us or with an official body such as DEFRA.

Feed Hygiene Regulations apply to all feed businesses that produce, import, store, transport, handle or use animal feed. This includes livestock and arable farms that grow, use or sell crops for feed use.

Businesses who are members of an Assured Scheme such as Red Tractor may find they already satisfy the requirements of the Regulations, and will receive fewer inspections. A memorandum of understanding exists between Trading Standards and Assured Food Standards, so that we know which businesses are members.

Feed hygiene registration

If your business is in Central Bedfordshire and you wish to register as a feed business, you can download and print (PDF 54.4KB) the application form. Once completed, please return to: Central Bedfordshire, Trading Standards, Priory House, Monks Walk, Chicksands, Shefford, Beds. SG17 5TQ. To complete the form you will need to enter the code and nature of the activities you undertake. The activity codes list (PDF 21.2KB) shows the codes.

There is no fee for registration.

Feed hygiene requirements

All feed businesses will need to comply with certain conditions laid down by the Feed Hygiene Regulations. Annex 1 (PDF 62.1KB) sets out conditions for the primary production of feed. Annex 2 (PDF 136.8KB) sets out the conditions for businesses other than at the level of primary production and Annex 3 (PDF 52.6KB) sets out the conditions for good animal feeding practice.