Fireworks licence

If you want to store more than 5kg of fireworks (email for more details) in the run up to Bonfire Night, New Year's Eve or festivals such as Diwali and Chinese New Year, you must have a licence issued by us.

Apply for a fireworks licence

If you want to store or sell fireworks all year, you will also need a year-round sales licence.

If you only have a storage licence you can only sell fireworks during the following periods:

  • October 15 to November 10
  • December 26 to December 31
  • Chinese New Year (four days before, including the day of Chinese New Year)
  • Diwali (four days before, including Diwali)

Trading Standards Officers visit fireworks retailers to ensure they are storing and selling their fireworks responsibly. There will also be random checks to make sure retailers are not selling fireworks to under 18s. If you are in any doubt about the age of a potential customer, you should always ask for proof of identification. We will also monitor illegal sales at car boot sales and other venues.

You face an unlimited fine or up to 2 years' imprisonment for breaching the storage requirements and a £5,000 fine for selling fireworks to children.

Registered and licensed traders are provided with comprehensive guidance on responsibilities and obligations when storing and selling fireworks.

If you are currently storing fireworks and have not registered with us, please get in touch with us immediately.

Licence for storage

New licence

1 year: £109

2 years: £141

3 years: £173

4 years: £206

5 years: £238

Renewal of a licence

1 year: £54

2 years: £86

3 years: £120

4 years: £152

5 years: £185

All year sales (must also have storage licence): £500

The application should be completed and returned with the fee, copies of plans of your premises (scale 1:100), including location of explosives storage and the actual storage arrangements. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to Central Bedfordshire Council. You can also pay online.

How to apply

You can apply for a firework application online.

Apply for a fireworks licence

Tacit consent

Your licence will be issued within 20 working days of payment.

Tacit consent does not apply for this licence. You must not assume that your licence is granted if you have not heard from us.