Animal licences

Apply for an animal licence

You can apply by downloading the appropriate form below.

How to renew

A Licence Holder must apply to renew a licence at least 10 weeks before their current licence expires. This is to avoid incurring a break in the licensable activity. To renew the Licence Holder must complete and submit a form for the relevant licence and submit this with the application fee (which can be paid online or by cheque made payable to Central Bedfordshire Council) to health& or by post to address given below.

You can apply by downloading the appropriate form below.

Forms must be sent to

Public Protection
Central Bedfordshire Council
Priory House
Monks Walk
SG17 5TQ

Fees and charges

Animal licensing fees and charges from 1 January 2024
Licence activity type(s) Application fee 1 year licence fee 2 year licence fee 3 year licence fee 2024 charge
Dangerous wild animals - new N/A N/A N/A N/A £256
Dangerous wild animals - renewal N/A N/A N/A N/A £108.60
Home boarding £270 £136 £202 £270


Commercial boarding £270 £136 £202 £270


Dog breeding £270 £136 £202 £270


Pet shop £270 £136 £202 £270 N/A
Hiring out of horses £270 £136 £202 £270 N/A
Performing animals


£136 £202 £270


Doggy day care £270 £136 £202 £270


Animal welfare additional N/A N/A N/A N/A £70
Animal welfare variation / transfer N/A N/A N/A N/A £70

Officer hourly rate: £67

Contact us

Telephone: 0300 300 8307
Email: health&

If you want to operate a business which deals with animals on the premises then you will need to apply for a licence.

We deal with licences for:

  • breeding of dogs
  • boarding of dogs (kennels)
  • home boarding for dogs
  • dog day care
  • boarding of cats (cattery)
  • selling animals as pets
  • keeping or training animals for exhibitions
  • hiring out horses
  • dangerous wild animals
  • zoos

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into effect on 1 October 2018 and have introduced a new licensing regime to replace the licensing and registration regimes for the following;

  • animal boarding for catteries and dogs – Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • dog breeding establishments – Breeding of Dogs Act 1973 and Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999
  • horse riding establishments – Riding Establishments Act 1964
  • performing animals – Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925
  • pet shops – Pet Animals Act 1951

If you have a licence under one of the above activities that is in force on 1 October 2018, it will continue to be valid until it is due to expire. You will then need to apply for a licence under the new regulations.

Guidance from DEFRA

The Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has published procedural guidance for local authorities in relation to the new regulations, along with guidance notes on the conditions that will apply to licences issued to authorise the different licensable activities.

The new licence conditions and guidance notes for each of the animal activities covered are set out below:

Useful information

The following codes of practice are available from the Canine and Feline Sector Group: