Under certain circumstances, we will allow a vehicle or vehicles to park lawfully in places where they would usually be contravening the Traffic Regulation Order (TRO), by issuing a dispensation.
Because of this (and to deal with traffic flow needs, road works or special events) we will also from time to time suspend parking places either completely or to provide parking places for particular vehicles and/or applicants.
A dispensation allows a vehicle (or vehicles) to park in breach of a TRO. It allows parking to take place when alternative arrangements cannot be made for the following reasons:
- to allow loading / unloading where this activity is either normally prohibited or the permitted period is insufficient; or
- in situations where alternative arrangements would be unsatisfactory.
A dispensation does not permit general parking. It does not allow the vehicle to remain in the restricted/prohibited area once the dispensation purpose has been fulfilled. At that time the motorist is required to park elsewhere and lawfully.
What can they be used for?
Dispensations can be used for:
- furniture removals
- building / maintenance / repair works where close proximity to the site is essential
- goods deliveries in respect of which it is reasonable to allow longer than that normally permitted by the regulations
- the hearse and chief mourners' vehicles at funeral
- the bridal and attendants' vehicles at weddings
- vehicles essential to filming operations
- other circumstances in which we may reasonably regard the requirement to be essential
What can they not be used for?
They cannot be used for:
- applications where parking may block disabled / doctors / business bays, taxi ranks, bus stops or tram movement
- applications where loading restrictions are in place and the dispensation is requested during the restricted period(s)
- locations within 50 metres of a signal controlled junction, the entry/exit pedestrian crossing marking, on a footway and/or other locations where parking may cause danger to pedestrians and/or road users or prevent adequate traffic flow
- requests where there are doubts concerning the validity of the application
Enquires may be made:
- by post (address below)
- telephone (0300 300 8005)
- or in person to the Parking Team (address below)
Enquiries should be received at least 7 working days before the required date to enable us to inspect the site if felt necessary before approval is given. However, officers have the discretion to deal with more urgent applications if it is reasonable to do so.
£6.50 for 1 day or £25 for 1 week, per vehicle.
Please make cheques payable to Central Bedfordshire Council and send to:
High Street North