Parking fines - paying parking fines and appealing parking fines | Central Bedfordshire Council

Parking fines - paying parking fines and appealing parking fines

Formal appeal of parking fines

If you make an informal appeal against a parking fine (Penalty Charge Notice - PCN), and it is rejected, you can make a formal appeal.

You can make a formal appeal against for the following reasons only:

  • the alleged contravention did not occur (please explain why you believe no contravention took place)
  • you were never the owner of the vehicle in question
  • you were no longer the owner of the vehicle on the date on which the alleged contravention occurred, or you became its owner after the date on which the alleged contravention occurred. (If you bought or sold the vehicle, you must give the new or former owner’s name and address if you have it. Please also provide the date of the transaction and any other details, and include any documents such as an invoice or bill of sale)
  • the vehicle had been parked by a person who had taken the vehicle without the permission of the owner (if your vehicle was stolen or taken without your consent, please provide any supporting information that you may have e.g. any crime reference or insurance claim reference)
  • you are a vehicle hire firm, the vehicle was on hire under a hiring agreement and the hirer had signed a statement acknowledging liability for any PCN issued during the hiring period. (The hiring agreement must be one which contained certain prescribed particulars. You must supply the name and address of the hirer. Please also supply a copy of the signed agreement)
  • the penalty charge was higher than the amount you should pay for the offence (if you think you are being asked to pay more than is required by law, please explain why)
  • we have not followed correct procedures (if you believe that we have failed to comply with any requirement imposed by the Traffic Management Act 2004, by the Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) Representations and Appeals Regulations 2007 or by the Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) General Regulations 2007 Regulations. Please tell us the statutory requirement, time limit or other procedural step with which you believe that Central Bedfordshire Council has failed to comply)
  • the traffic regulation order which is alleged to have been contravened is invalid. (Please explain why you believe that the Order in question is invalid. Please note that this ground will not apply in respect of a provision in an Order to which Part VI of Schedule 9 to the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 applies)
  • the Notice to Owner should not have been served because the penalty charge had already been paid (i) in full; or (ii) at the discounted rate. (Please tell us the amount that was paid and when and how the payment was made. Please also include any supporting documentary information such as a receipt or bank statement to show this payment)

If you disagree with the parking fine (Penalty Charge Notice - PCN) and you wish to make representation, you can submit your appeal online.

Appeal your parking fine >>

If you cannot appeal online, please send your formal appeal to:

Central Bedfordshire Council
PO Box 597