Domestic nuisance - noise, smoke, DIY nuisance

Noise nuisance

The most common sources of noise pollution are:

  • Music, stereos, and televisions
  • Excessive general household noise (banging doors, footsteps, shouting)
  • Parties and functions
  • Construction and demolition, including DIY
  • Vehicle nuisance
  • Barking dogs

Reporting a noise nuisance

The person responsible for the noise may not be aware of the effects that the noise is having. Where possible, discuss the problem with them, as this will often sort the matter out and also help maintain good neighbour relations.

If you are still experiencing issues, you can report the nuisance.

To report a noise nuisance, you'll need:

  • Your name, address, and telephone number (we are not able to deal with anonymous complaints but will deal with your complaint in confidence and not pass your details on without your agreement)
  • The address where the noise is coming from, and the name of the person responsible for the noise (if known)
  • Details of the noise you are suffering from, together with when and how often it occurs

Report a noise nuisance

What happens next

Officers will investigate your complaint and decide if any legal action is needed to solve the problem.

They will always endeavour to find a solution, without legal action if possible, but in some instances, we ask for your cooperation and ask that you appreciate that we may not have an instant resolution.


Guidance for assessing a statutory nuisance (Word)

Statutory nuisance procedure (Word)