Self-build and custom-build register | Central Bedfordshire Council

Self-build and custom-build register

The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 (link opens in new window) places a duty on local councils in England to keep and have regard to a register of people who are interested in self-build or custom-build projects in their area. This register will help inform the council of the level of demand for self-build and custom-build plots in the Central Bedfordshire area and enable the council to develop a strategy for delivering serviced plots for self-build and custom-build projects.

What is self-build and custom-build?

Self-build and custom-build housing is housing built by individuals or groups for their own use, either by building the home on their own or by working with builders. 

Self-build projects are defined as those where someone directly organises the design and construction of their own home. This covers a wide range of projects, including a traditional DIY self-build home to projects where the self builder employs someone to build their home for them. Community-led projects can also be defined as self-build.

Custom-build homes are where you work with a developer as an individual or a group to help deliver your own home. The developer may help to find a plot, manage the construction and arrange the finance for your new home. This is more of a hands-off approach, but your home will be tailored to match your individual requirements.

Why choose self-build and custom-build homes?

Homes built in this way offer an alternative to standard market housing that may not meet your household’s needs. Self and custom-build homes can be built to your own specification, subject to both planning guidance and regulations, and building regulations compliance (link opens in new window). They offer opportunity for innovative design to make greener and more affordable than standard housing.

Who can be entered onto the register?

The eligibility criteria for an entry onto the register are set out in the Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 (link opens in new window). The Act specifies, that to be eligible, an individual must be:

  • aged over 18
  • a British citizen, or a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • seeking to acquire a serviced plot of land in the CBC area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence

An association is eligible for entry if each member meets all of the eligibility criteria set for an individual.