Benefits of choosing real nappies
Real nappies can cost half the price of disposable nappies, saving up to £500 for your first baby. Reuse your cotton nappies for a second baby and save even more money!
The cheapest option, even taking into account the cost of washing powder, energy and depreciation of the washing machine, is buying your own real nappies and washing them at home.
Green Mums have produced a video (link opens in new window) demonstrating how easy real nappies are to use. See real parents talking about real nappies.
Read our leaflet (PDF 232.1KB) for more information on real nappies.
The health benefits
Disposable nappies are made of super-absorbent chemicals, paper pulp, plastics and adhesives, while real nappies let your child's skin breathe in natural cotton.
If you want the best solution, organic cotton and hemp nappies are available at a reasonable cost.
Babies using washable nappies tend to potty train 6 months earlier than those in disposables.
Variety of styles to choose from
From prefolds to quick fastening velcro, there are a wide range of real nappy types to choose from, so you can select the best style for your baby and your individual circumstances.
Kinder to the environment
Disposable nappies create huge amounts of waste and can take up to 500 years to rot away in a landfill.
Real nappies create less waste and by following these simple tips you can help reduce their environmental impact even more:
- use washable fleece liners, rather than disposable ones
- use low temperature detergents
- switch to reusable wipes and help reduce the amount of waste potentially sent to landfill
- buy more nappies initially and wash full loads
- look at the label and try washing at a lower temperature
- air dry outside rather than tumble dry where possible
- purchase electricity on a green tariff