Paying for residential care

How do you treat the value of my home?

We will automatically exclude the value of your home if it continues to be lived in by any of the following:

  • your partner
  • a relative who is aged 60 or over
  • a relative who is aged under 60 but is incapacitated or a dependent child under 16 who you are responsible for

Your home is also excluded if your stay is temporary and it is expected that you will return home.

You will need to inform us as soon as someone, for whom we have excluded the property in the assessment, no longer lives there.

We have the discretion to ignore the value of the property when someone continues to live there but does not come under the above categories. For example, if this is the sole residence of someone who has given up their own home to care for you.

If you do not want to sell your home to pay for your care, you may be eligible for a deferred payment agreement where we will pay your for your care and you repay us when you choose to sell your home, or after your death.