Homeless after leaving prison

Where we can house prisoners and ex-offenders

When you apply to us as homeless, we'll check to see if you have a local connection with our area.

A local connection means things like:

  • living in the area
  • working in the area
  • having immediate family (usually a parent, brother or sister) in the area

Time spent in prison in a specific area does not give you a local connection with the area where the prison is. However, if you have no local connection with any area, or if you are fleeing domestic violence, you can apply to any council in any area. The council you apply to has to help you.

There may be restrictions placed on where you can live, if you're subject to a court order or licence conditions.

High-risk prisoners, managed by a multi-agency public protection arrangement (MAPPA), may be required to live in certain areas.