Help with childcare costs

Funded childcare for 2 year olds

Your 2-year-old can access up to 570 hours of funded early education and childcare a year, if you receive one of the following eligible benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit, and your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, not including benefit payments
  • tax credits, and your household income is £16,190 a year or less before tax
  • support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
  • the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credits)

To see if you are eligible, you can create an account on our Parent Portal and apply for 2-year-old funding. You will need your National Insurance (NINo) or National Asylum Support Service (NASS) number.

2-year-olds can also get free childcare if they:

  • are looked after by a local authority
  • have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan
  • receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • have left care under an adoption order, special guardianship order or a child arrangements order

A 2-year-old you care for may also get free childcare if your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, and you have any of the following:

  • the right to live in the UK because you’re the main carer of a British citizen (known as a "Zambrano Carer")
  • support from your local council because you have a 'child in need', for example they have a disability or protection plan
  • leave to remain with ‘no recourse to public funds’ on family or private life grounds

If you are a non-EEA citizen who cannot claim benefits, then you may still be eligible if you receive support under the immigration and Asylum Act and have either:

  • claimed asylum in the UK and are waiting for a decision (known as "part 6")
  • been refused asylum in the UK (known as "section 4").

For more information and how to apply visit our Family Information Directory