What to do in a flood
Call 999 if you're experiencing flooding now.
Protecting your property from flooding in an emergency
Our flood guide (PDF 899.2KB) offers advice on how to protect your property and who to contact about flooding.
What to do before, or when warned of, flooding
- deploy flood defences (eg. sandbags, door barriers) if you have any
- move vehicles to a safe area
- turn off power (unless you have a pumped flood system)
- close windows and doors if it is safe to do so
- retreat to a safe place (such as the upper level of a building or a friend's house) and lock doors
- move pets, items of value and your grab bag upstairs or raise off the floor
- keep phones, chargers, bank cards, insurance details and house keys to hand
- ensure neighbours know a flood is predicated / happening and help if possible
Sandbags and flood prevention products
How to use sandbags for flood defence (GOV.UK) (link opens in new window). If you have other flood defence products, please follow the manufacturer's instructions for use.
We don't supply sandbags, but they can normally be obtained from local builders’ merchant, filled or empty, and you can store your own sand to fill when needed. A search online will show a number of suppliers of sandbags and other flood prevention products which may be more suitable.