Council Tax discounts

Apply for a discount / exemption

You can apply online for a Single Person Discount and reductions for all of the following:

  • paid (employed) carers
  • unpaid carers
  • people in detention (prison)
  • people in hospital or residential care
  • severe mental impairment
  • students
  • disabled person’s band reduction
  • job-related dwelling discount

Single Person Discount form >>
Other discount form >>

For some discount applications, we will also ask you to provide a certificate completed by a qualified person to confirm your circumstances. You can print a blank copy of these certificates below.

If you apply for a Council Tax reduction, discount or exemption, you must carry on paying the amount specified on your current bill, until you receive a new one. If we reduce your bill and you have paid too much Council Tax, we will send you a refund.

Contact us

Tel: 0300 300 8306

Please quote your Council Tax account reference in all correspondence – your account reference is 8 or 9 digits long and starts with a 4, 7 or 8. You can find it on your Council Tax bill or any letter we’ve sent about your Council Tax.

Other ways to apply

You can also apply for a discount, reduction or exemption by:

  • downloading an application form below, to print and return to us by post or in person
  • contacting us by telephone or email, to get a paper copy of the application form sent to you

Download a discount application for:

If the discount you would like to apply for is not listed above, please contact us for more details about how to apply.

Back to the top