Apply for a Council Tax discount / exemption
You can apply online for a Single Person Discount (link opens in new window) and reductions for all of the following:
- paid (employed) carers
- unpaid carers
- people in detention (prison)
- people in hospital or residential care
- severe mental impairment
- disabled person’s band reduction
- job-related dwelling discount
Other ways to apply
You can also apply for a discount, reduction or exemption by:
- downloading an application form below, to print and return to us by post or in person
- contacting us by telephone or email, to get a paper copy of the application form sent to you
Download a discount application for:
- single person discount (PDF 86.9KB)
- students (PDF 94.9KB)
- apprentices (PDF 40.8KB)
- people receiving care (PDF 43.5KB)
- severely mentally impaired people (PDF 64.7KB)
- employed carers (PDF 48.8KB)
- non-employed carers (PDF 137KB)
- people in detention (PDF 29.4KB)
If the discount you would like to apply for is not listed above, please contact us for more details about how to apply.
If you apply for a Council Tax reduction, discount or exemption, you must carry on paying the amount specified on your current bill, until you receive a new one. If we reduce your bill and you have paid too much Council Tax, we will send you a refund.
Documents to support your application
For some discount applications, we will also ask you to provide a certificate completed by a qualified person to confirm your circumstances. You can provide this by post, or take your documents to any of our customer service centres.
We may ask you to provide a certificate completed by a qualified person. You can print a blank copy of these certificates below. You must still complete an application for a discount – the certificates below will not be treated as an application on their own.
- Certificate of Employment as a Carer (PDF 48.9KB)
- Certificate of Detention (Prison) (PDF 48.8KB)
- Certificate of Severe Mental Impairment (PDF 48KB)
Tel: 0300 300 8306
Please quote your Council Tax account reference in all correspondence – your account reference is 8 or 9 digits long and starts with a 4, 7 or 8. You can find it on your Council Tax bill or any letter we’ve sent about your Council Tax.