Apply for a discount / exemption
You can apply online for a Single Person Discount and reductions for all of the following:
- paid (employed) carers
- unpaid carers
- people in detention (prison)
- people in hospital or residential care
- severe mental impairment
- disabled person’s band reduction
- job-related dwelling discount
For some discount applications, we will also ask you to provide a certificate completed by a qualified person to confirm your circumstances. You can print a blank copy of these certificates below.
- Certificate of Employment as a Carer (PDF 48.9KB)
- Certificate of Detention (Prison) (PDF 48.8KB)
- Certificate of Severe Mental Impairment (PDF 48KB)
If you apply for a Council Tax reduction, discount or exemption, you must carry on paying the amount specified on your current bill, until you receive a new one. If we reduce your bill and you have paid too much Council Tax, we will send you a refund.
Tel: 0300 300 8306
Please quote your Council Tax account reference in all correspondence – your account reference is 8 or 9 digits long and starts with a 4, 7 or 8. You can find it on your Council Tax bill or any letter we’ve sent about your Council Tax.
Other ways to apply
You can also apply for a discount, reduction or exemption by:
- downloading an application form below, to print and return to us by post or in person
- contacting us by telephone or email, to get a paper copy of the application form sent to you
Download a discount application for:
- Single Person Discount (PDF 86.9KB)
- Students (PDF 94.9KB)
- Apprentices (PDF 40.8KB)
- People receiving care (PDF 43.5KB)
- Severely mentally impaired people (PDF 64.7KB)
- Employed carers (PDF 48.8KB)
- Non-employed carers (PDF 137KB)
- People in detention (PDF 29.4KB)
If the discount you would like to apply for is not listed above, please contact us for more details about how to apply.