Rural rate relief
If your business is in a rural settlement with a population of below 3000, it may qualify for this relief.
You could be entitled to a 50% reduction in business rates with a further 50% discretionary relief if your application is successful.
The types of businesses that qualify for rural rate relief are:
- the only village general store or post office, with a rateable value of up to £8,500
- a food shop with a rateable value of up to £8,500
- the only village pub or the only village petrol station, with a rateable value up to £12,500
If you are a business in a qualifying rural settlement with a rateable value up to £16,500, you can also apply for up to 100% discretionary relief if we consider that your business benefits the community.
You can download a list of the areas, which meet the conditions for a qualifying rural settlement below:
How to apply for rural rate relief
- Download an application for rural rate relief (PDF 92.7KB)
- telephone: 0300 300 8011 to get a form by post
- email: email@example.com
Please quote your business rates account reference in all correspondence – your account reference is 7 or 8 digits long and starts with a 3, and you can find it on your business rates bill or any letter we’ve sent about your business rates.
If you require further information or would like to make a further comment on the list, please write to:
Business rates (revenues team)
Central Bedfordshire Council
High Street North