Business rates

How business rates are calculated

We work out your business rates bill by multiplying the rateable value of your property by the rating multiplier and then adjusting it for any discounts, reductions or transitional arrangements, which apply to you.

Although we calculate and collect your business rates, we cannot change your rateable value or your multiplier. These are set nationally. We do decide whether you are entitled to any rate relief.

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) (link opens in new window) decides your rateable value.

It is partly based on the rental value of your property on 1 April 2008. This valuation came into effect on 1 April 2010.

The next revaluation is in 2017. This was postponed from 2015 to provide greater stability for businesses and encourage economic growth. Five-yearly revaluations will continue from 2017.

You can find your property's rateable value (link opens in new window) on the VOA website.

You can also:

  • compare your rateable value to other businesses
  • request changes
  • appeal your valuation

Your business rates multiplier is set by central government. They set the multiplier each year, and usually increase it in line with inflation.

They also set a reduced small business rate multiplier which we use for any businesses who qualify for small business rate relief. Contact us on 0300 300 8011 to find out if you qualify for reduced rates.

You can find current and previous years' multipliers (link opens in new window) on the Valuation Office Agency website.

Appeal your rateable value

You can challenge your rateable value free of charge.

Find out more about the appeals process on GOV.UK - Business rates appeals (link opens in new window)

Until your appeal is settled, you need to pay the full amount shown on your rate demand notice. Any overpayment resulting from a subsequent reduction will be refunded and interest may be added to the refund, but only if payments have been made strictly in accordance with the regulations for the payments of non-domestic rates.

Please note that any reduction in your gross charge resulting from a successful appeal may lead to an equal loss of transitional relief. The amount you are required to pay may not change until you no longer qualify for transitional relief.

Getting advice

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill.

However if you do wish to be represented, you can get help from professional organisations whose members are qualified and regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect you. These are:

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) (link opens in new window) 

The Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV) (link opens in new window) 

Before you employ a rating advisor, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. If you are considering a challenge to your valuation, the VOA has provided some advice and information.

This leaflet (PDF 113.8KB) explains how to avoid being caught out by agents who charge more than they save.

Contact us

Please quote your business rates account reference in all correspondence – your account reference is 7 or 8 digits long and starts with a 3, and you can find it on your business rates bill or any letter we’ve sent about your business rates.

Back to the top